If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

RSS Feed

Posted on 04-22-2013

3 Tips from Your Animal Clinic to Prevent Pet Poisoning


animal clinic in Canton warns of potential pet poisons.jpgIs your home safe for pets – or could potential pet poisons lead to a serious health emergency? Our animal clinic frequently treats pets for accidental poisoning. In fact, accidental poisoning is the leading cause for pet health emergencies. As part of our vet services, our veterinarian works closely with pet owners to ensure their homes are properly pet-proofed and free from potential pet poisons.

Emergency Vet Services: Tips to Avoid Accidental Pet Poisoning

Below, our veterinarian lists three common pet poisons – and how you can help keep your pet safe.

#1: Chocolate

Leftover pieces of candy can quickly turn into a nightmare should your dog chow down on these chocolate treats. Chocolate contains the chemical theobromine, a diuretic and cardiac stimulant. Consuming too much theobromine can cause diarrhea, vomiting, panting, and excessive thirst/urination.
How to prevent chocolate poisoning: Remind children not to feed pets chocolate candy. When baking, promptly clean up any spills involving baker's chocolate.

#2: Rodent poison

Sure, no one wants rats, mice or other vermin near their home, but rodent poison can harm more than just these pests. This poison contains bromethalin, which can cause a cerebral edema and severe neurological problem. Curious dogs or cats that consume rodent poison require immediate emergency care from a veterinarian to prevent death.
How to prevent rodent poisoning: Think twice before using this poison in your garage or backyard, especially if you have a dog or cat that is allowed to roam freely. Otherwise, you will need to restrict your pet’s access to areas where poison is laid.

#3: Antifreeze

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, a chemical that tastes sweet to pets but if ingested will lead to near certain death. A pet that links up an antifreeze spill in the driveway or garage will need immediate medical attention to prevent organ failure; otherwise, death can occur within days.
How to prevent antifreeze poisoning: Keep a close eye out for accidental spills or links in the driveway and garage; clean up promptly.

Has your pet ever required emergency care for accidental poisoning?


There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

To leave a comment, please login as a member